US Launches Fresh Airstrikes on ISIS Targets in Syria After Deadly Palmyra Ambush
The United States has carried out another round of retaliatory airstrikes against Islamic State (ISIS) positions in Syria, escalating its military response to last month’s ambush in Palmyra that killed two American soldiers and a US civilian interpreter.
According to US Central Command (CENTCOM), the large-scale strikes were conducted around 12:30 p.m. ET on Saturday in coordination with partner forces. The operation targeted multiple ISIS locations across Syria, striking what the military described as key infrastructure and operational sites.
The latest action forms part of a wider campaign ordered by President Donald Trump following the attack that claimed the lives of Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard, and civilian interpreter Ayad Mansoor Sakat. All three were killed during an ISIS assault in the historic desert city of Palmyra last month.
“Our message remains strong: if you harm our warfighters, we will find you and kill you anywhere in the world, no matter how hard you try to evade justice,” CENTCOM said in a statement released on Saturday.
A day before the strikes, Syrian authorities announced the arrest of the senior ISIS commander overseeing the group’s military operations in the Levant, a development that coincided with the intensified US military activity.
While the Pentagon confirmed that Saturday’s strikes were carried out alongside partner forces, it did not disclose which allies were involved.
The Trump administration has named its response to the Palmyra attack Operation Hawkeye Strike. Both Torres-Tovar and Howard were serving members of the Iowa National Guard.
The operation began on December 19 with a major wave of airstrikes that hit around 70 ISIS-linked targets across central Syria, including weapons depots and logistical hubs.
Also Read: Senior Taliban Official Mufti Noor Ahmad Noor Takes Charge at Afghan Embassy in New Delhi
For years, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) served as Washington’s primary partner in combating ISIS inside Syria. However, following the removal of former Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in December 2024, US coordination has increasingly shifted toward Syria’s central government in Damascus.
Syria has since joined the global coalition against ISIS, marking a significant change in regional cooperation as efforts continue to dismantle the group’s remaining networks.
The United States has carried out another round of retaliatory airstrikes against Islamic State (ISIS) positions in Syria, escalating its military response to last month’s ambush in Palmyra that killed two American soldiers and a US civilian interpreter.
According to US Central Command (CENTCOM), the large-scale strikes were conducted around 12:30 p.m. ET on Saturday in coordination with partner forces. The operation targeted multiple ISIS locations across Syria, striking what the military described as key infrastructure and operational sites.
The latest action forms part of a wider campaign ordered by President Donald Trump following the attack that claimed the lives of Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard, and civilian interpreter Ayad Mansoor Sakat. All three were killed during an ISIS assault in the historic desert city of Palmyra last month.
“Our message remains strong: if you harm our warfighters, we will find you and kill you anywhere in the world, no matter how hard you try to evade justice,” CENTCOM said in a statement released on Saturday.
A day before the strikes, Syrian authorities announced the arrest of the senior ISIS commander overseeing the group’s military operations in the Levant, a development that coincided with the intensified US military activity.
While the Pentagon confirmed that Saturday’s strikes were carried out alongside partner forces, it did not disclose which allies were involved.
The Trump administration has named its response to the Palmyra attack Operation Hawkeye Strike. Both Torres-Tovar and Howard were serving members of the Iowa National Guard.
The operation began on December 19 with a major wave of airstrikes that hit around 70 ISIS-linked targets across central Syria, including weapons depots and logistical hubs.
For years, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) served as Washington’s primary partner in combating ISIS inside Syria. However, following the removal of former Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in December 2024, US coordination has increasingly shifted toward Syria’s central government in Damascus.
Syria has since joined the global coalition against ISIS, marking a significant change in regional cooperation as efforts continue to dismantle the group’s remaining networks.
Latest Posts
- Liushenyu Coal Mine Blast Kills At Least 90 Workers, President Xi Jinping Urges Workplace Safety
May 24, 2026 | Breaking News, World - India-Canada Eyes $50 Billion Trade Goal, Minister Piyush Goyal Heads to Canada
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - Iran-US Talks Heading Positively, Both Countries Ahead for Ending Middle East Conflict
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - Major Gladglare: Rajya Sabha MP Raghav Chadha appointed as chairman of the Rajya Sabha Committee on Petitions
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Politics - Jammu Kashmir High Court Quashes PSA Detention of Activist Rehmatullah Padder; Orders Immediate Release
May 22, 2026 | Breaking News, Doda, Jammu Kashmir - Rajnath Singh, Ahn Gyu-back Hold Talks to Expand India–South Korea Defence Partnership
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - 16 Arrested For Bandra Violence: Officials
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India - US-Cuba Tensions Escalate as Miguel Díaz-Canel Warns of ‘Bloodbath If Attacks
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - Leaked Pakistan Secret Cypher Exposes US Role in Ouster of Imran Khan
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - New Study Finds Green Steel Could Help India Avoid US$1 Trillion in Coking Coal Import Exposure
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Press Release