
RAMBAN, May 3 (VoM News) — A public rally organised by the Sawalkakote Joint Action Committee (SJAC) was twice stopped by police in Ramban on Saturday before authorities accepted a memorandum outlining demands related to the proposed Sawalkakote Hydroelectric Project.
The rally began at Dak Bungalow Ramban and drew participation from residents, daily wagers, youth groups and civil society members. Participants raised slogans seeking clarity and justice over issues linked to the project.
Police initially blocked the procession at the main gate, citing lack of formal permission. After brief discussions, the rally was allowed to proceed but was halted again a short distance away. Organisers maintained that prior intimation had been given and no written denial was issued by the administration.
Following the second stoppage, a delegation of SJAC members was permitted to submit a memorandum addressed to the Chief Minister, Lieutenant Governor, Chief Secretary and Deputy Commissioner Ramban.
Addressing the gathering, SJAC president Fairoz Khan said the people were not opposed to development but demanded transparency and fairness in decisions affecting land, livelihoods and rehabilitation.
The committee raised concerns over reported road diversion plans, possible project site shifts and lack of clarity on timelines. It warned that any move marginalising Ramban or causing submergence without adequate compensation would be opposed.
The memorandum listed key demands, including clarity on road alignment, declaration of a project timeline, compensation under the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition Act, a rehabilitation policy for affected families, reassessment of unused acquired land, and preference for locals in employment.
Several speakers highlighted issues such as delayed compensation, unused acquired land and absence of a structured rehabilitation framework. Some residents alleged financial distress due to prolonged uncertainty.
Police said the restrictions were imposed due to procedural requirements, while organisers termed the action an attempt to curb public expression.
Despite the disruptions, the rally remained peaceful with no reports of violence or damage to property.
The SJAC has urged the administration to respond within a reasonable timeframe, warning of intensified democratic protests if concerns remain unaddressed.
Latest Posts
- Jammu Kashmir High Court Quashes PSA Detention of Activist Rehmatullah Padder; Orders Immediate Release
May 22, 2026 | Breaking News, Doda, Jammu Kashmir - Rajnath Singh, Ahn Gyu-back Hold Talks to Expand India–South Korea Defence Partnership
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - 16 Arrested For Bandra Violence: Officials
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India - US-Cuba Tensions Escalate as Miguel Díaz-Canel Warns of ‘Bloodbath If Attacks
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - Leaked Pakistan Secret Cypher Exposes US Role in Ouster of Imran Khan
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - New Study Finds Green Steel Could Help India Avoid US$1 Trillion in Coking Coal Import Exposure
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Press Release - SimonMed Launches Shield Program to Support Preventive Whole-Body MRI Access for Military, Veterans, and First Responders
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Press Release, World - EUROVISION 2026: Which contestants gained the most followers, views & streams? (Data Analysis)
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Press Release - Big League Chew Announces New Licensing Partners
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Press Release - MLA Mehraj Malik Raises Non-Gazetted Staff Recruitment Rules Issue With Omar Abdullah, Assures Protesting Employees
May 18, 2026 | Breaking News