Jammu and Kashmir High Court and Lower Courts Grapple with 371,000 Pending Cases: NJDG Report.

Jammu and Kashmir High Court and Lower Courts Grapple with 371,000 Pending Cases: NJDG Report.
Jammu and Kashmir High Court and Lower Courts Grapple with 371,000 Pending Cases: NJDG Report.
Jammu and Kashmir High Court and Lower Courts Grapple with 371,000 Pending Cases: NJDG Report.
Jammu and Kashmir High Court and Lower Courts Grapple with 371,000 Pending Cases: NJDG Report.

Jammu and Kashmir High Court and Lower Courts Grapple with 371,000 Pending Cases: NJDG Report.

Jammu and Kashmir High Court and Lower Courts Grapple with 371,000 Pending Cases: NJDG Report.

With over 3.71 lakh court cases pending disposal in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the judicial system faces an uphill battle in addressing the mounting backlog. This backlog includes cases at the District and Taluka courts and the Jammu and Kashmir High Court, painting a grim picture of the state of justice in the region.

Pendency Crisis in Jammu and Kashmir

In the sprawling landscape of Jammu and Kashmir’s legal system, the weight of pending cases is staggering. The District and Taluka courts grapple with a mammoth caseload of 3,26,264, while the Jammu and Kashmir High Court alone is burdened with 44,736 cases awaiting resolution.

National Perspective on Judicial Pendency

Zooming out to the national stage, the scale of the issue becomes even more evident. Across India, the pendency in District and Taluka courts exceeds a whopping 4,44,42,953 cases. This staggering number includes 1,10,89,259 civil cases and a staggering 3,33,53,694 criminal cases. High Courts across the country share the load, grappling with 60,78,594 cases, of which 43,65,076 are civil in nature, and 17,13,518 are criminal.

Jammu and Kashmir Leads in E-Governance with 1028 Online Services

Jammu and Kashmir’s Criminal Caseload Conundrum

Delving deeper into Jammu and Kashmir’s caseload, a concerning trend emerges. The District and Taluka courts are disproportionately burdened with criminal cases, constituting a substantial 68.29% of the pending cases. This leaves just 31.71% as civil cases awaiting resolution.

Duration-wise Analysis of Pendency

A closer examination of the pendency reveals a disconcerting statistic – a significant 47.57% of cases in the District and Taluka courts have been awaiting disposal for over a year. Moreover, a substantial portion of cases falls within the one to three-year bracket (20.26%), while cases lingering for more extended periods (from 3 to 30 years) make up the remaining pendency.

Special Concerns for Vulnerable Groups

Senior citizens and women, often vulnerable in legal matters, have their own share of pending cases. Senior citizens have filed 17,574 cases, predominantly civil in nature, whereas women have filed 16,775 cases, with a more balanced mix of civil and criminal cases.

Steps Toward Resolution

Despite the overwhelming backlog, there is hope. Over the past month, the District and Taluka courts managed to dispose of 17,317 cases, while the Jammu and Kashmir High Court resolved 1,560 cases. These small victories indicate progress in addressing the crisis.

Addressing the Pendency Challenge

Union Minister of State, Law and Justice, AA Rahim, has acknowledged the multifaceted challenges contributing to the pendency crisis. These include the shortage of judicial personnel, frequent adjournments, inadequate court staff, infrastructure limitations, complexity of cases, and the need for better cooperation among stakeholders like the bar, investigation agencies, witnesses, and litigants. Crafting effective solutions to these challenges is essential to alleviate the burden on the justice system and ensure timely justice for all.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Telegram
WhatsApp
Email
Note: You have to fill-up above all respective field, then click below button for send your message