
Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, Joseph Kent Resigns Over Iran War, Cites Policy Differences
Joseph Kent, Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, has resigned with immediate effect, citing his opposition to the ongoing conflict involving Iran.
In a letter addressed to US President Donald Trump, Kent said he could not support the war, arguing that Iran does not pose an immediate threat to the United States. He criticised the decision to engage militarily, claiming the conflict had been initiated under external pressure and warning against repeating past strategic mistakes.
Kent expressed support for Trump’s earlier foreign policy approach, noting that it avoided prolonged wars while still delivering decisive actions. He cited operations such as the strike that killed Qasem Soleimani and efforts that led to the defeat of ISIS as examples of targeted and effective strategy.
The outgoing official also alleged that public perception of Iran had been shaped by misinformation from certain groups and sections of the media, contributing to a push toward military confrontation. Drawing parallels with previous conflicts, he cautioned against escalation without clear long-term objectives.
A combat veteran, Kent said his decision was also personal, stating he could not support deploying more American troops into a conflict he believes does not serve national interests. He urged the administration to reconsider its current course, warning of potential long-term consequences.
United States Strikes Iranian Sites Near Strait of Hormuz Amid Escalating Conflict
Kent concluded by saying it had been an honour to serve the country and the administration.
His resignation comes as the conflict between a US-Israel coalition and Iran enters its third week, marked by intensified airstrikes, targeted killings of Iranian officials, and retaliatory missile and drone attacks across the Gulf region, further destabilising energy infrastructure and regional security.
Latest Posts
- No Survivors as Kenya Helicopter Crash Takes Lives of 7, Including Ecuador Intelligence Head and 5 US Nationals
August 20, 2026 | Breaking News, World - Russia Launches Fresh Missile Strike at Kyiv, 2 Killed
August 20, 2026 | Breaking News, Russia-Ukraine Conflict, World - Live Globe News August 20 – 2026 | Latest News Updates | VoM News
August 20, 2026 | Breaking News, Live Updates - Former Delhi Minister Satyendar Jain Tells Court Delhi Jal Board Tender Was Floated After He Left Portfolio
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Politics - ED Raids 10 Locations in Delhi, UP in Money-Laundering Case Linked to Azam Khan’s Trust
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India - US Envoy Sergio Gor Met CM Omar Abdullah, says Jammu Kashmir Travel Advisory May Be Reviewed
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Jammu Kashmir, World - Four Injured as Xylo Carrying Dead Body Skids Off Road Near Sinthan Top
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Jammu Kashmir - NASA Posts Photos Of SpaceX Falcon 9 Moon Crash crater
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Science & Technology, Technology - India’s Renewable Energy Breakthrough: Coal-Like Reliability at a Lower, Fixed Price
August 19, 2026 | India, Press Release - Nvidia H200 Chips Allowed Into China in Small Batches: Report
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Business, World