
Over 300 buried in Papua New Guinea landslide, reports local media
Over 300 buried in Papua New Guinea landslide, reports local media
SYDNEY, May 25 (Reuters) – More than 300 people and over 1,100 houses were buried by a massive landslide that levelled a remote village in northern Papua New Guinea, local media reported on Saturday.
Hundreds are feared dead in the landslide that hit Kaokalam village in Enga Province, about 600 km (370 miles) northwest of capital Port Moresby, around 3 a.m. on Friday (1900 GMT on Thursday).
The landslide in the Pacific nation north of Australia buried more than 300 people and 1,182 houses, the Papua New Guinea Post Courier said, citing comments from a member of the country’s parliament, Aimos Akem. Akem did not immediately respond to Reuters request for comment via social media.
More than six villages had been impacted by the landslide in the province’s Mulitaka region, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said on Saturday.
“Australia’s High Commission in Port Moresby is in close contact with PNG authorities for further assessments on the extent of the damage and casualties,” a DFAT spokesperson said in a statement.
The Australian Broadcasting Corp reported on Saturday that four bodies had been retrieved from the area after emergency teams reached the sparsely populated area, where the death toll is expected to rise.
The landslide has blocked highway access, making helicopters the only way to reach the area, the broadcaster reported.
Social media footage posted by villager Ninga Role showed people clambering over rocks, uprooted trees and mounds of dirt searching for survivors. Women could be heard weeping in the background.
Prime Minister James Marape has said disaster officials, the Defence Force and the Department of Works and Highways were assisting with relief and recovery efforts.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by VoM News staff and is published from syndicated feed)
Latest Posts
- Former Delhi Minister Satyendar Jain Tells Court Delhi Jal Board Tender Was Floated After He Left Portfolio
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Politics - ED Raids 10 Locations in Delhi, UP in Money-Laundering Case Linked to Azam Khan’s Trust
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India - US Envoy Sergio Gor Met CM Omar Abdullah, says Jammu Kashmir Travel Advisory May Be Reviewed
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Jammu Kashmir, World - Four Injured as Xylo Carrying Dead Body Skids Off Road Near Sinthan Top
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Jammu Kashmir - NASA Posts Photos Of SpaceX Falcon 9 Moon Crash crater
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Science & Technology, Technology - India’s Renewable Energy Breakthrough: Coal-Like Reliability at a Lower, Fixed Price
August 19, 2026 | India, Press Release - Nvidia H200 Chips Allowed Into China in Small Batches: Report
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Business, World - US Ambassador Sergio Gor Arrives in Kashmir’s Srinagar for 2-Day J&K and Ladakh Visit
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Jammu Kashmir - Live Globe News August 19– 2026 | VoM News
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Live Updates - Satyendar Jain Arrest: Arvind Kejriwal Calls Case Fake, AAP Alleges Political Motive
August 18, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Politics