Operation Sindoor Still On: Army Chief Upendra Dwivedi Warns Pakistan Against ‘Future Misadventure’
Chief of Army Staff General Upendra Dwivedi on Tuesday said that Operation Sindoor, which was launched last year to target terror sites in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), is on and warned Islamabad that any “future misadventure” will be “dealt with effectively”.
Speaking to reporters during his first press conference of 2026, General Dwivedi also said the Indian Army had mobilised its troops during Operation Sindoor and was “fully prepared” for ground operations if Pakistan “made any mistake”.
India launched Operation Sindoor on May 7 in response to a deadly terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pahalgam on April 22, which was carried out by The Resistance Front, a proxy of Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
The security forces struck multiple terror camps in Pakistan and PoK, killing over 100 terrorists.
Pakistan then launched a missile and drone attack, which was intercepted by India. In retaliation, India struck airfields in Pakistan.
A ceasefire was announced on May 10.
Operation Sindoor was the “best example of tri-service synergy under a clear-cut political directive and full freedom to act or respond,” General Dwivedi said.
“Operation Sindoor was conceptualised and executed with precision. Through 22 minutes of initiation on May 7 and an orchestration that lasted 88 hours up to May 10, the operation reset strategic assumptions by striking deep, dismantling terror infrastructure, and puncturing the longstanding nuclear rhetoric,” he told reporters.
Explained: India Likely to Join US-Led Pax Silica Initiative Next Month
This time, the action we took, especially the kind of firing that took place in Jammu and Kashmir, and the way we addressed it, and how we eliminated approximately 100 of their people – all that action was taken because we expanded the conventional space. In those 88 hours, you saw that the army’s mobilisation to expand the conventional space was such that if Pakistan made any mistake, we were fully prepared to launch ground operations,” he said.
General Dwivedi said that since the ceasefire was announced, the situation along the western front and in Jammu and Kashmir “remains sensitive but firmly under control”.
“In 2025, 31 terrorists were eliminated, of which 65% were of Pakistani origin, including the three perpetrators of the Pahalgam attack neutralised in Operation Mahadev,” he said.
He said that the number of active local terrorists is now in single digits.
“Terrorist recruitment is almost non-existent, with only two in 2025. Clear indicators of positive change in J&K include robust development activity, revival of tourism, and the peaceful Sri Amarnath Yatra, which saw more than four lakh pilgrims, exceeding the five-year average. The theme of terrorism to tourism is gradually taking shape,” he said.
Latest Posts
- Liushenyu Coal Mine Blast Kills At Least 90 Workers, President Xi Jinping Urges Workplace Safety
May 24, 2026 | Breaking News, World - India-Canada Eyes $50 Billion Trade Goal, Minister Piyush Goyal Heads to Canada
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - Iran-US Talks Heading Positively, Both Countries Ahead for Ending Middle East Conflict
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - Major Gladglare: Rajya Sabha MP Raghav Chadha appointed as chairman of the Rajya Sabha Committee on Petitions
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Politics - Jammu Kashmir High Court Quashes PSA Detention of Activist Rehmatullah Padder; Orders Immediate Release
May 22, 2026 | Breaking News, Doda, Jammu Kashmir - Rajnath Singh, Ahn Gyu-back Hold Talks to Expand India–South Korea Defence Partnership
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - 16 Arrested For Bandra Violence: Officials
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India - US-Cuba Tensions Escalate as Miguel Díaz-Canel Warns of ‘Bloodbath If Attacks
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - Leaked Pakistan Secret Cypher Exposes US Role in Ouster of Imran Khan
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - New Study Finds Green Steel Could Help India Avoid US$1 Trillion in Coking Coal Import Exposure
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Press Release