
Release hostages held in Gaza before President takes office, either face consequences: Trump’s Middle East Advisor warns
Release hostages held in Gaza:
ABU DHABI, Dec 9 (Reuters) – Donald Trump’s Middle East envoy warned on Monday during a visit to the region it would “not be a pretty day” if the hostages held in Gaza were not released before the U.S. President-elect’s inauguration.
Steve Witkoff, who will formally take up the position when Trump’s administration starts, said he hoped and prayed there would be ceasefire in Gaza between Palestinian militant group Hamas and Israel before Trump takes office on Jan. 20.
“You heard what the president said, they better be released,” he said, referring to Trump.
“Listen to what the president has got to say. It’s not a pretty day if they’re not released,” Witkoff added, in response to Reuters questions on the sidelines of a bitcoin conference in UAE capital Abu Dhabi.
President-elect Trump said on social media last week there would be “hell to pay” if the hostages were not released before his inauguration.
Hamas-led militants killed 1,200 people and captured more than 250, including Israeli-American dual nationals, during their Oct. 7, 2023 attack on Israel, according to Israeli tallies.
More than 100 hostages have been freed through negotiations or Israeli military rescue operations. Of the 101 still held in Gaza, roughly half are believed to be alive.
More than 44,700 people have been killed in the assault that Israel launched on Gaza in response, authorities in the Hamas-run territory say. Thousands of others are feared dead under the rubble.
Witkoff earlier spoke to an audience at the Bitcoin conference where those attending paid as much as $9,999 to access special sessions, which are closed to media.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by VoM News staff and is published from the syndicated feed)
Latest Posts
- United States & India Share Strategic Alliance; Marco Rubio Tells S Jaishankar
May 24, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - Pakistan Train Blast: 24 Killed, Baloch Liberation Army Claims Responsibility for Attack
May 24, 2026 | Breaking News, World - Liushenyu Coal Mine Blast Kills At Least 90 Workers, President Xi Jinping Urges Workplace Safety
May 24, 2026 | Breaking News, World - India-Canada Eyes $50 Billion Trade Goal, Minister Piyush Goyal Heads to Canada
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - Iran-US Talks Heading Positively, Both Countries Ahead for Ending Middle East Conflict
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World - Major Gladglare: Rajya Sabha MP Raghav Chadha appointed as chairman of the Rajya Sabha Committee on Petitions
May 23, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Politics - Jammu Kashmir High Court Quashes PSA Detention of Activist Rehmatullah Padder; Orders Immediate Release
May 22, 2026 | Breaking News, Doda, Jammu Kashmir - Rajnath Singh, Ahn Gyu-back Hold Talks to Expand India–South Korea Defence Partnership
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India, World - 16 Arrested For Bandra Violence: Officials
May 21, 2026 | Breaking News, India - US-Cuba Tensions Escalate as Miguel Díaz-Canel Warns of ‘Bloodbath If Attacks
May 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Politics, World