
Four dead, dozens trapped in South Africa building collapse
Four dead, dozens trapped in South Africa building collapse
GEORGE, South Africa, May 7 (Reuters) – Rescuers searched through the debris of a multi-storey building collapse in the South African city of George that left four people dead and dozens still trapped early on Tuesday.
Twenty-four construction workers who were at the site of the unfinished building when it collapsed have been removed from the rubble so far, while 51 remained unaccounted for, the municipality of George, a coastal city east of Cape Town, said in a statement.
Four among the rescued have been declared dead as of 5:15 a.m. (0315 GMT), it said.
A drone view of the site showed rescue workers removing debris in a bid to reach those still under the rubble.
“We are focusing on the areas… where we have actually been hearing people,” Colin Diener, chief of disaster management for the Western Cape province, told reporters at the scene.
“It is going to get more and more difficult as the days go on,” he said.
CCTV footage obtained by Reuters showed a cloud of dust as the building crumbled on Monday afternoon.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by VoM News staff and is published from syndicated feed)
Latest Posts
- Chatroo Minor Death Case: School Teacher Suspended Pending Inquiry; Two Accused Arrested
August 22, 2026 | Breaking News, Jammu Kashmir - No Survivors as Kenya Helicopter Crash Takes Lives of 7, Including Ecuador Intelligence Head and 5 US Nationals
August 20, 2026 | Breaking News, World - Russia Launches Fresh Missile Strike at Kyiv, 2 Killed
August 20, 2026 | Breaking News, Russia-Ukraine Conflict, World - Live Globe News August 20 – 2026 | Latest News Updates | VoM News
August 20, 2026 | Breaking News, Live Updates - Former Delhi Minister Satyendar Jain Tells Court Delhi Jal Board Tender Was Floated After He Left Portfolio
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Politics - ED Raids 10 Locations in Delhi, UP in Money-Laundering Case Linked to Azam Khan’s Trust
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India - US Envoy Sergio Gor Met CM Omar Abdullah, says Jammu Kashmir Travel Advisory May Be Reviewed
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, India, Jammu Kashmir, World - Four Injured as Xylo Carrying Dead Body Skids Off Road Near Sinthan Top
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Jammu Kashmir - NASA Posts Photos Of SpaceX Falcon 9 Moon Crash crater
August 19, 2026 | Breaking News, Science & Technology, Technology - India’s Renewable Energy Breakthrough: Coal-Like Reliability at a Lower, Fixed Price
August 19, 2026 | India, Press Release